Rhône-Alpes Fast Facts
From Mont Blanc and Lake Annecy to Lyon, the Beaujolais vineyards and the beginning of Provence, Rhône-Alpes is a region of outstanding cultural sites and a rich historic past. Its easy access, world renowned cuisine, winter sports and summer activities, museums and festivals provide many reasons to spend dream holidays in the Rhône-Alpes.
Capital: Lyon – Classified by UNESCO as World Heritage Site in December 1998.
- The Alps with Mont-Blanc, the rooftop of Europe – the Capital of Alpinism, Chamonix-Mont Blanc - 150 ski resorts – Winter Olympic Games for 3 times.
- The Alpine lakes with the 3 major European Alpine lakes (Lake Geneva, Lake Annecy and Lake Bourget).
- The Art and Historical City Network: Lyon, Annecy, Chambéry, Grenoble,Saint-Etienne et Valence.
- The southern area with the Ardèche department and its natural sites like the Pont d’Arc and the Drôme area with its little perched villages and lavender and olive tree fields.
- The preserved nature with two National Parks (Ecrins and Vanoise) and six Regional Parks.
- Wide range of activities – Every sport is possible in the Rhône-Alpes (hiking, biking, golf, spa, horse-riding, etc…) and even skiing in the summer.
- Gastronomy and Wines – The Rhône-Alpes region is the only French region to have five 3-Michelin-starred chefs with Paul Bocuse, Georges Blanc, Michel Troisgros, Emmanuel Renaut and the only female chef to have this distinction, Anne-Sophie Pic. Two main vineyards are located in the Rhone-Alps with the Beaujolais vineyards and the northern part of the Côtes du Rhône vineyards.
The Three Most Visited Sites by International Tourists:
- The “Aiguille du Midi” cable car in Chamonix-Mont Blanc
- The Montenvers rack railway and the Mer de Glace glacier in Chamonix –Mont Blanc
- The “Brévent” cable car in Chamonix- Mont Blanc.
- The Design Biennial in Saint-Etienne – From January to December – www.biennale-design.com
- The Fourvière Nights (Theatre, music, dance, opera, circus, cinema) in Lyon – From June to July – www.nuitsdefourviere.com
- The Jazz Vienne Festival in Vienne – From mid- June to mid-July – www.jazzavienne.com
- The Mountain Guide Festival in Chamonix-Mont Blanc – August 15th – www.fetedesguides.com
- The Evian Championship – Mid-September – www.evianchampionship.com
- The Lyon Dance Biennial – September – www.biennale-of-lyon.org
- “Les Sarmentelles” (Beaujolais Nouveau launch) – November 20th – www.beaujolais.com
- The “Lumière – Grand Lyon Film Festival” in Lyon – Mid-October – www.festival-lumiere.org
- The Light Festival – From December 5th to 8th – www.fetedeslumieres.lyon.fr
- Criterium of the First Snow – Mid-December – www.valdisere.com