Visit the Abbey of Cluny
Rendez-vous at Cluny Abbey
The spiritual religious heritage site in France and artistic capital of the Middle Ages
Founded in 910AC,was governed by a line of exceptional abbots and at the height of its influence in the 12th century, it was at the head of an "empire" of some 10,000 monks. The main abbey church is quite simply breathtaking with the highest vaulted roof of the Romanesque world rising some 30 metres above the nave. The bell tower is equally impressive.
A new tour includes a 3D film to give a sense of the majesty of what was once Christendom’s largest church. Inside the abbey, a new projection system of computergenerated pictures recreates the lost parts of the church with sophisticated effects of perspective, lighting and the impressions of changing weather conditions. Move the screens to discover the abbey just as you would have found it in the 15th century!
A European Heritage site.
ReceptionSubject to modification.
- May 2nd to August 31st: from 9.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- September 1st to April 30th: from 9.30 a.m. to noon and from 1.30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Last admission 20 minutes before closing time.
- January 1st, May 1st, November 1st, Novemebr 11th and December 25th.
- Number of floors visited during the tour: 2
- Monument partially accessible to people with reduced mobility
- Unaccompanied tour with guide booklet: French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch
Duration: 1 hr
- Touch model for the visually impaired
- Audio-guide tour: French, English, German, Spanish
- Guided Abbey tour: French, German
Reservations: 2 weeks
Duration: 1 hr 15 min
No supplement. Other visitors are free to join the group.
- Lecture tour of the Abbey (and the town): French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch
Reservations: 2 weeks
Duration: from 1 hr 30 min to 2 hrs 30 min
- Maximun group size without splitting, up to 50 people maximum for each show for the 3D film (10 min)
- News: A new tour itinerary has been created to illustrate the history of the Abbey through the remaining ruins of what was once the largest church in Christendom. The past comes to life in the world’s largest mediaeval church with "Maior Ecclesia", a 3-D film showing the lost splendours of this magnificent edifice.
- Seating available during the visit and outside
- Gift shop
- Parking for coaches 450 m (Rochefort car park)
- Function room rental
- Adults: 8,50 €
- Concessions: 5,50 €
- Free admission: under 18 years old* and 18-25 years old* (citizens of one of the 27 countries of the EU or are non-European permanent residents of France)
* excluding school groups
- Extra charge: Audio-guide
- Rate for tourism professionals and groups (minimum 20 people): 6,50 €
- 22 km from the Beaune/Lyon motorway and 5 km from the Bourges/Geneva main road, 24 km north-west of Mâcon
- From Beaune or Lyon: A6 exit Mâcon south then RN79, Paray-le-Monial to the D980, Cluny
- From Bourges or Mâcon: RN79 to the D980, Cluny
ContactAbbaye de Cluny
Unaccompanied / guided tours:
Tel: (33) (0)3 85 59 15 93 - Fax: (33) (0)3 85 59 82 70
Tel.: (33) (0)3 85 59 82 72 - Fax: (33) (0)3 85 59 82 70