Rendez-vous in Ajaccio
Surrounded by a fantastic mountain range, Ajaccio is an elegant and sunny city, renowned for its long welcoming tradition.
From the top of its citadel, it has preserved its bay which is one of the most beautiful in the world. Strolling the lanes of the old town, you will discover its Napoleonic heritage, its prestigious museums, its daily market boasting so many flavours.
Along the mysterious way to the Sanguinary islands you will find gorgeous beaches and wild creeks. You will be fascinated by this little archipelago, standing guard at the mouth of the bay, especially at sunset when it turns to a fantastic crimson colour.
Historical, cultural, commercial or charming, Ajaccio is also a dynamic and animated city devoted to sport and fun. Its immediate surroundings are real natural paradise, the ideal place for hiking, canyoning, mountain biking, trekking and climbing. It provides a whole range of outdoor activities which you can enjoy by yourself or with professionals.
Last but not least, the Ajaccian art of living will confirm your impression that the Sun also shines in the very heart of its inhabitants and will make your stay unforgettable.
Not to be missed
- Palais Fesch: Ajaccio City fine art museum.
- Parata peninsula: the Sanguinary islands and the Parata peninsula are one ot the most gorgeous places in Ajaccio and in Corsica. It is a listed site of national interest, a protected natural setting boasting a remarkable environmental quality i.e. its incorporation into the European Natura 2000 network. Benefiting from the “Opération Grand Site” label from the French Ministry for Ecology and Sustainable Development, the action program aims at organizing tourist affluence but also at developing tourist infrastructures. Playing areas, network of discovery paths, focus on the Parata tower are some of the new services dedicated to the visitors.
- Summer polyphonies (every Wednesday in July and August): discover the traditional Corsican songs thanks to these 45 min. concerts : today’s voices are often accompanied by centuries-old instruments.
- Night shopping (every Friday in July and August) : night opening for shops located in the historical center as well as street art events : music, theatre and so on…
- Napoleonic Days (August) : historical reconstructions, bivouac, changing of the guards : a travel back in time during these 3 days dedicated to Ajaccio’s famous son.
- Chestnut Fair in Bocognano (December) : a Fiera di a Castagna (or chestnut fair) takes place every year during a whole week-end. You will then meet agricultural producers, craftsmen and cultural actors from all over the island. You will taste various products from the seven sectors of Corsican gastronomy such as cheese, honey and chestnut under all its forms.
In the heart of the city, many restaurants and markets keep Corsican gastronomic tradition alive. Amateurs will enjoy seafood (urchins, lobsters, local fish) as well as mountain specialties (fresh bruccio – i.e. a sort of Corsican cream cheese – tasty cured meat, hew or goat cheeses).
Gourmets will appreciate savoury pastry turnovers made with vegetable or herbs as well as Corsican sweet doughnuts.
Ajaccio Tourist Office
3 Boulevard Roi Jérôme
20181 AJACCIO Cedex 01
Phone: + 33(0)4 95 51 53 03