Pays d'Alençon - feel the difference !
Pay a visit to Alençon-- one of the famous French cities which tourists
love to visit to. This French city is situated at the Orne and Sarthe
departments and is considered one of the most beautiful European cities. The said city is popular not only for
its amazing qualities but also for its abundance of great tourist attractions.
When you visit this amazing place, you will be able to discover the beauty of Point d’Alençon lacework that was invented here. If you wish to
know more about Saint Therese, travelling to this city (which is her
birthplace) is highly recommended. Alençon offers lots of things to do, places
to visit, activities to try and knowledge for you to discover.
Where history meets contemporary living
Whether you visit the chateau in Carrouges, the village of Saint-Céneri-le-Gerei, the Episcopal cities of Sées and Essay, or the towns of Alençon and Mamers, you can experience the joys of the past, present and future all in one. Alençon and its surrounding areas boast a rich heritage while embracing contemporary innovations.
The best way to know the citizens of Alençon is to join them in celebrating their festivals! Try in the local
products and enjoy a lot of array of adventures in Pays d' Alençon. Its
landscapes and trails are something that hikers, bikers and horseback riders
will surely love!
Pilgrimage to St. Theresa and the Martin Family
Alençon preserves the memory of a family with a fascinating and exceptional destiny that has enriched humanity's historical and spiritual heritage for over 150 years. In 1858, Zélie Guerin met Louis Martin on Alençon's Sarthe Bridge, and experienced a revelation: "He is the one I have prepared for you,"
They married and were blissfully happy, having nine children, including Thérèse (Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus), who was born in Alençon and according to Pope Pius X, is the "greatest saint of modern times." Explore the city of Alençon and visit the main landmarks in the life of the Martin family: the family home, which recreates the atmosphere and authenticity of life at the time, the Basilica of Notre Dame where Saint Thérèse was baptised, and the famous Alençon point lace, listed as part of the UNESCO World Heritage.
- Caen, Tours, Rouen, Paris
- Paris-Le Mans-Alençon (1h30)
- Paris-Surdon-Alençon (2hrs)
- Paris - A13 + N12 or A11 + A28: 2hrs
- Lisieux - A28 + D519: 1hr10
- Caen - A28 + A88: 1hr10
- Tours - A28: 1hr20
- Rouen - A28: 1hr30
Restaurants: Traditional, local cuisine from Normandy, or fast-food options
Accommodations: 20 hotels (up to 3-star), Gîtes and B&Bs, and group reservations
Visiting the city: Guided tours, audio guides, group and individual tours of the Musée des Beaux Arts et de la Dentelle
Visiting the shrines:
- Basilica of Notre Dame d'Alençon
- Martin family house
- Guided tour "In the footsteps of the Martin family"
- Notre-Dame de Sées Cathedral
- Musée départmental d'art religieux (Departmental Museum of Religious Art)
- Church of the Immaculate Conception
Literature: Practical guides, Guide "In the footsteps of the Martin family," Guide "Itinerary from Alençon to the Montligeon Chapel," Topographical guide: "Walk in the Footsteps of Saint Thérèse in Normandy"
- Celebration of the 140th anniversary of the birth of Saint Thérèse (Jan 2)
- Celebration of the 140th anniversary of the baptism of Saint Thérèse (Jan 4)
- 5th edition of Pierre en Lumières (May 18)
- Fête de la Rose 11h (June 15)
- Celebration of the Blessed Louis and Zélie Martin, presided by Cardinal Babarin (July 13-14)
- Celebration of Louis Martin (July 29)
- Celebration of the dedication of the Notre Dame of the Assumption Basilica (Aug 15)
- Celebration of Zélie Martin (August 28)
- Celebration of Saint Thérèse (Oct 1)
- 5th anniversary of the beatification of the Martin couple (Oct 18-20)