Rendez-vous at the Arc de Triomphe
A unique view of the Champs-Élysées, the world’s most beautiful avenue
The Arc de triomphe was begun in 1806, on the orders of Napoleon I to honour the victories of his Grande Armée.
Inspired by the great arches of antiquity, the monument combines the commemorative with the symbolic and it has always played a major role in the national republican consciousness. Every evening, the flame is lit on the tomb of the Unknown Soldier from the Great War.
An exhibition portrays the history and explains its symbolic importance, nationally as well as internationally. The terrace provides superb views both by day and night across the city and its great sweeping avenues.
- Unaccompanied tour with guide booklet: French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese, Russian
- Lecture tour: French, English
- Permanent exhibition: the great moments of French history can be seen oninteractive touch screens. The exhibition traces the construction of the Arc de triomphe and other famous triumphal arches throughout the world. It highlights the architecture of the monument and explains the friezes and sculptures adorning the columns.
- Prestigious visit outside standard opening hours : visit with breakfast buffet (capacity: up to 100 people), reservation required.
- Metro: Charles de Gaulle-Étoile, lines 1-2-6
- RER A: Charles de Gaulle-Étoile
Arc de triomphe
Place Charles de Gaulle
The visit of the monument for groups or individuals does not require any reservation
Reservations for lecture tour:
Tel.: +33 (0)1 44 54 19 30 - Fax: +33 (0)1 44 54 19 31