Rendez-vous in Avignon
Avignon, once the residence of the Popes in the Middle Ages, is still a vibrant destination today. Visitors can see the Palais des Papes, the famous pont d'Avignon, the amparts, churches and chapels, which are all unique to the city. The home of a prestigious contemporary theatre festival, and the European city of culture in 2000, Avignon has a taste for the avant-garde.
Not to be missed
- Palais des Papes
- The famous St Bénézet bridge
- Unesco World Heritage Sites: ramparts, Palais, bridge
- The old town with its cardinal’s liveries and its church towers
- The museums: Petit Palais, Musée Calvet, Musée Angladon, Lambert collection, Palais du Roure, and Jean Vilar’s house
- Place de l’Horloge and its shady terraces
- The Rhône and the promenade on the island of La Barthelasse
- Provençal gastronomy and Côtes du Rhône wines
Avignon Passion Pass
Welcome to Avignon and Villeneuve-les-Avignon. Discounted prices are offered by monuments, museums and excursion operators. Pay the full price in the first place you visit, then the rest of your visits and excursions are discounted for the whole family (5 people maximum).
The Avignon Festival brings theatre to the city for 3 weeks in July, when 600 participating theatre companies turn the town into a vast stage for an artistic showcase.
- Avignon high-speed train station: Direct high-speed trains to Paris (2 hrs 40 mins), Charles de Gaulle airport, Lille, Lyon, Geneva, Brussels and more
- Avignon Centre station: high-speed train, Eurostar Avignon-London in the summer
- Avignon Caumont airport: 8 km from Avignon: direct flights to Paris Orly Ouest 4 times per day. To Southampton (Flybe) from May to October 3 times a week.
- Motorways A7 and A9
- Major roads RN 7 and RN 100
41 cours Jean Jaurès BP 8
84004 Avignon Cedex 1
Tel: 33 (0)4 32 74 32 74
Fax: 33 (0)4 90 82 95 03