Caen, port of call in Normandy
A destination between land and sea
Caen is a major destination with a rich architectural heritage and an exceptional cultural reflection of its thousand years of history. Founded by William the Conqueror in the 11th century, the city has some remarkable monuments, like its two monasteries, jewels of Roman art, or its ducal castle, one of the largest fortified enclosures in Europe.
Caen offers its guests a unique setting combining, right in the heart of town, the maritime sweetness of its marina with the green elegance of the racetrack and its many parks. Cultural life there is intense: there are many museums ( The Caen Memorial , the Museum of Normandy or the Museum of Fine Arts ), the theater, and the zenith.
Completing the attractions are a varied gastronomy and wide selection of hotels, shops and well-known chains, and a vibrant downtown - this is a place to see without delay!
The essentials in Caen
- The Abbaye aux Hommes and the Abbaye aux Dames , two gems of Romanesque art born of a love story between William the Conqueror and his beautiful Matilda.
- The Caen Memorial , city of history for peace: the museum that plunges visitors into the heart of 20th-century history.
- The ducal castle that overlooks the city and offers an exceptional panoramic view
- Other museums like the Museum of Normandy or the Museum of Fine Arts, both located in the castle
- The canal linking Caen to the sea
- The amusement park Festyland based on the history of Normandy
Give yourself a break!
The Caen Tourist Office offers a range of holidays throughout the year. With family or friends, treat yourself to a weekend trip to Caen ! In this unmissable city, go on scenic excursions, unique tours, family activities or day trips ... There's something for everyone! See our selection of offers, starting at one night minimum.
Caen pulls out all the stops!
Normandy is a region renowned for its gastronomy: Camembert, Calvados, Pommeau, cream, St. Jacques scallops ... so many mouth-watering foods. Caen also contributes to this reputation with its own specialties (including the famous Caen tripe) and its good dining spots.
Note, the city now has three Michelin-starred restaurants!
Caen looks forward to seeing you...
- International Competition of Defense Arguments (January)
- Balkan Spring, Festival of Balkan Cultures of the (March-June)
- Passing the Torch, literary festival (May)
- Rétrofestival, classic car show (July)
- Viva Voce, vocal music festival in Lower Normandy (July)
- Festival Beauregard, Pop Rock Festival (July)
- Caen summer evenings, street performances (July-August)
- Peninsula in Celebration (September)
- Caen International Fair (September)
- Nördik Impakt Festival, discovering electro culture (October)
- The Lights of Normandy, northern creative festival (November)
In Caen, let yourself conquer it all!
Getting to Caen
- SNCF train station (many daily trains to Paris): 2 hours from Paris
- Caen Carpiquet Airport (daily and international routes via the Lyon hub)
- Channel harbour (liasion Caen-Portsmouth)
- A13 to Paris, Rouen and La Havre, A84 to Rennes and Nantes, A88/A28 to Le Mans, and A29 towards Lille