Rendez-vous at the Château d'If
The famous island fort facing Marseille immortalised by Alexander Dumas in The Count of Monte Cristo
This famous fortress, standing on a rocky island off the coast of Marseille, was immortalised by Alexandre Dumas in The Count of Monte Cristo as the prison where the novel’s hero, Edmond Dantès, was incarcerated before ultimately escaping.
The castle was built by François I in 1524 and over the centuries it gained a fearsome reputation as many opponents of royal power were jailed and died in the fortress. The Castle of If has been perfectly preserved and is one of the most impressive historical sites on the Mediterranean coastline.
ReceptionSubject to modification.
- 15th May to 20th September: from 9.30 a.m. to 6.15 p.m.
- 21st September to 14th May: from 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
The last visit depends on the timetable of boats, information at the tourist information center, on our website or on Frioul If express.
- Mondays from 21st September to 14th May
- 1st January, 25th December and subject to bad weather
- Unaccompanied tour with guide booklet: French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Czech
Duration: 45 min (1 hr 30 min with visit of the island)
- Historical comments: French
- Audio-guide tour: French, English, German, Italian, Spanish
- Guided tour: French
• Reservations: 1 week
Duration: 30 min (1 hr 30 min with visit of the island)
- Permanent exhibition: Alexander Dumas and the Count of Monte Cristo
- Gift shop
- The group can be dropped off and picked up again on the Vieux-Port
- Parking for coaches 800 m (parking of Saint-Jean Castle)
- Adults : 5,50 €
- Concessions : 4 €
- Free admission: minors under 18*
Free admission: 18-25 years old* (citizens of one of the 27 countries of the EU or are non-European permanent residents of France)
* excluding school groups
Crossing not included
- Extra charge: Audio-guide
- Rate for tourism professionals and groups (minimum 20 people): 4,50 €
- 1, Quai de la Fraternité in Marseille, old port boat bridge Frioul, If Express (20 minutes crossing to go and 45 minutes to come back)
13177 Marseille Cedex 20
Tel: (33) (0)4 91 59 02 30 - Fax: (33) (0)4 91 59 05 62
Reservations (weather conditions): Tel: (33) (0)6 03 06 25 26