Côte d'Azur: Visit the Monastery of Saorge, the "Baroque Franciscans"
This monastery of reformed Franciscans is one of the few still remaining in the Nice region.
The village of Saorge overhangs the gorges of the Roya. The church of the Franciscan convent, which was founded in 1633, was built in the Baroque style.
The refectory features painted decorations from the 17th century and the cloister is decorated with 18th century frescoes showing the life of Saint Franis of Assisi.
The monastery houses a fascinating collection of nine sundials from the 17th, 18th, and 19th century.
The church features one of the oldest Stations of the Cross paintings in the Alpes-Maritimes region.
- Unaccompanied tour with guide booklet: French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch
- Guided tour (gardens included): French, English, Italia
- Between Turin and Nice, near the D6204 At 33 km from Vintimille
- From Nice: A8 motorway et E74 direction Vintimille, Col de Tende-Breil, then D6204
- Crossing of Saorge town impossible by car
Monastère de Saorge