Rendez-vous at Franco-Australian Museum
Created by the Franco-Australian Association in Villers-Bretonneux, the Franco-Australian Museum was inaugurated on 25th April 1975.
It is situated on the first floor of the Victoria School which was built from 1923 to 1927. As is remembered on two plaques (one in French the other in English) on the outside wall of the school, Victoria School was rebuilt using donations collected by school children in Victoria, Australia.
he museum retraces the history of the Australian Imperial Force during the First World War, particularly on the Western Front in 1918. Photographs can be viewed here along with: uniforms, weapons, models, letters and personal objects, reproductions of official documents, etc… There is also a documentation dentre containing many books about the history of Australia and also its fauna and flora.
To complete the visit, an audiovisual room with seating for 35, shows Australian archive films in French or English.
The Victoria Hall is on the ground floor. It is a magnificent assembly hall with wooden panelling displaying carvings of Australian wildlife and a permanent exhibition of photographs of the State of Victoria.
The carvings are the work of the Australian artist John Grant and his students at the at the Dayleford Technical College.
An Australian fresco can be found in the schoolyard, of Aboriginal style, it was created by the staff and children of the school and inaugurated on Anzac Day 2009. A large message in green letters on a yellow background spelling "Do not forget Australia" can also been seen here. Due to the strong bond of friendship between the Australian population and the inhabitants of Villers-Bretonneux, this message expresses the need to remember. The French translation: "N’oublions jamais l'Australie" can be found in each of the classrooms.