Rendez-vous in Nevers
Nevers: a city of art and history, as well as having an astonishingly rich and diverse heritage.
Many fine examples of secular or religious architecture can be seen along the blue line, which leads you on your tour around the town.
On the top of the "Butte" (hill) stands the Duke's Palace, which is considered as one of the first of the Loire Castles. Not forgetting the St. Cyr and St. Juliette Cathedral, whose contemporary stained glass windows flood the stone with multi-coloured light.
Nevers has kept many traces of its past with the old earthenware makers' district, where you can discover how the tradition of this fine ceramic art form is still held in great respect. The craftsmen will share their love of the craft with you, and show you pieces inspired from ancient, or indeed astonishingly modern, decors.
Continue your stroll to admire the Baroque façades of the Chapelle St. Marie (Chapel of St. Mary) and the church of Saint Pierre, the Romanesque elegance of the Church of St. Etienne, and of course the incredible Church of St. Bernadette du Banlay, in which Claude Parent exhibited his "fonction oblique".
Nevers is also internationally renowned as the burial place of Saint Bernadette, the young peasant girl from Lourdes who witnessed the Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Even today, thousands of pilgrims come each year to meditate before her body.
Bernadette, from Lourdes to Nevers
It was at Nevers, in the mother house of the Sisters of Charity, that the 23 year-old Bernadette Soubirous took the veil and for 13 years lived a simple and ordinary life dedicated to God and others. Her body rests in the chapel, in a glass reliquary. Come to Nevers in the footsteps of Bernadette... and receive her message which tells of the dignity of all mankind. City of art and history, Nevers is also an international city thanks to the presence of Saint Bernadette. The ducal city attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors due to the diversity and richness of its tourist, religious and natural heritage. Stroll along the banks of the majestic Loire river and discover the history of porcelain of which Nevers has been the capital since the 17th century.
- Nevers-Fourchambault airport: taxi planes, business flights, small and medium-sized carriers
- Nevers – Paris (Bercy station): 2hrs
- Nevers – Lyons: 3hrs
- Paris (232 km): A6, A77
- Lyon (230 km): A77, N7
- Dijon (185 km): D978, N81, A38
- Clermont-Ferrand (150 km): A77, N9, N7
- Lourdes (684 km)
Restaurants: Dining at the Espace Bernadette+ 40 restaurants in Nevers and surrounding area
- Espace Bernadette: 100 rooms
- 30 hotels and hotel-restaurants with 0 to 4 stars in Nevers and region
Visiting the city:
- Ducal Palace, Saint Cyr Saint Julitte Cathedral
- Saint Etienne Church, Porte du Croux, Nevers Porcelain
Visiting the shrine:
- Espace Bernadette:
- Chapel, reliquary of Saint Bernadette
- Museum dedicated to the life of Bernadette Soubirous
- Video of Bernadette’s life
- Explore “Walking in the footsteps of Bernadette”
- FR, EN, DE, ND, IT
- Spiritual accompaniment for pilgrimsto the Espace Bernadette
- 22nd Festival of Strip Cartoons and the Disks (January)
- Exhibition Fair of Nevers (March)
- “Salon des Vins” (Wine Festival) (April)
- “Les Zaccros d’ma rue” – streets arts festival (July)
- Daily Guided tours of Nevers - Historic night-time play around Nevers - Un air de Loire (the beach in Nevers) - Garçon la Note (Music Festival) (July and August)
- Festival Bernadette (October)
- International Jazz Festival (November)