Rendez-vous in The Pierre d'Haudroy Monument
At 8.20 pm on 7th November 1918, four cars transporting the German plenipotentiaries responsible for negotiating an armistice arrived at the village of La Flamengrie, near La Capelle. The “ceasefire” was sounded, marking the start of negotiations and the end of hostilities.
The armistice was finally signed at Compiègne on 11th November 1918.
In 1925 a monument in Vosges granite, called the Pierre d’Haudroy, was unveiled at this spot. A translation of its inscription would read: “1918 – 7th November - 20.20hours – Here triumphed the tenacity of the French soldier”.
Destroyed by the Germans in August 1940, it was replaced in 1948.