Rendez-vous at Russian chapel and cemetery in Saint-Hilaire-le-Grand

  • The russian Chapel

    The russian Chapel

    © CRTCA

  • In the Chapel

    In the Chapel

    © CRTCA / Yoan Lurealt / Ascerf

  • Monument

    Monument

    © CRTCA / Yoan Lurealt / Ascerf

Rendez-vous at Russian chapel and cemetery in Saint-Hilaire-le-Grand Route de Saint Hilaire le Grand 51600 SAINT HILAIRE LE GRAND fr

This commemorative chapel is dedicated to the 6,100 Russian soldiers who fell in France. Built in 1937, this amazing building, surrounded by a small Orthodox cemetery, stands out from its surroundings thanks to its white walls and its golden and blue domes.

The adjacent cemetery is where around a thousand Russian soldiers who were part of the brigades who came to fight on the French front from 1916 onwards are buried. Every year at Pentecost, a pilgrimage commemorates their memory.

Behind the cemetery, at the edge of the wood, in amongst the pines and birches, stands an Orthodox monastery built of logs.

Things to see

Point of interest