Rendez-vous at Trenches of the Hand of Massiges
When they retreated in September 1914, the Germans sought refuge on this natural high spot where the Champagne and Argonne fronts meet. Its shape resembles a hand, and each finger was a bastion of this natural fortress. Both the French and the Germans dug countless tunnels here.
The front-line soldiers would pass in front of the statue of the Holy Virgin in the village. The left breast of the statue was struck by a bullet and a swarm of bees found shelter in the hole. The soldiers, impressed by this rebirth, christened the statue the Bee Virgin.