Vignobles & Découvertes : Île d'Oléron
Located in Charente-Maritime, Oleron the "luminous island", is the largest of the French Atlantic islands.
The destination «Vignoble de l'Île d'Oléron» covers the entire island and will allow you to discover two classified wines : the Vins de Pays Charentais – Île d'Oléron and the Pineau des Charentes.
From the South to the North of the island, vineyards shape the landscape. Marks of the traditional activity of wine growing can be found everywhere, and the winegrower remains at the heart of Oleron sociocultural et economic landscape.
The 8 districts of the Island of Oleron offer numerous sites to visit
- Saint-Trojan-les-Bains "the seaside town" and its state-owned forest,
- The Grand-Village-Plage and its historic salt works,
- The Château d'Oléron and its imposing fortress,
- Dolus d'Oléron and the Marais aux Oiseaux (marsh birds park),
- Saint-Pierre d'Oléron, its pedestrian zone and its fishing harbour of La Cotinière, the 6th most important fishing harbour in France,
- Saint-Georges d’Oléron and its charming villages of Chaucre, Domino, Boyarville…,
- La Brée-les-Bains and its peaceful and authentic little streets,
- At the Northern end of the island, Saint-Denis d'Oléron and the Chassiron Lighthouse.
The island's reputation rests on its climate and its natural heritage.
Its landscapes are very diverse: sand dunes and beaches, salt marshes and oyster pits, forests of maritime pine. It's a great destination for nature lovers.
The sea offers many possible activities. There are 3 marinas and you can practice sailing, sand karting, surfing, kitesurfing, kayaking, scuba diving, deep-sea fishing, tall ship sailing…
The vineyard is covered by a network of 125 km of cycle paths.
Oyster farming and fishing are two other major economic activities on the Island of Oleron: you can't miss out on perfect food and wine pairings.
The Vignoble de l'Île d'Oléron will fully satisfy the gastronomic tourist in search of authenticity.
The destination «Vignoble de l’Île d’Oléron» offers a selection of:
- 10 cellars
- 8 accomodation options
- 7 restaurants
- 5 heritage sites
- 1 tourist office
- 1 travel agency
- 8 providers of sports, leasure and well-being activities
- 2 events