Rendez-vous in the ‘Kaiser Tunnel’ near Lachalade

  • "Kaiser Tunnel"

    "Kaiser Tunnel"

    © Michel PETIT

Rendez-vous in the ‘Kaiser Tunnel’ near Lachalade 55120 LACHALADE fr

The Kaiser Tunnel, named after the German emperor, is situated near Clermont-en-Argonne at Haute Chevauchée and, as the name indicates, was constructed by the German command. It was used as a shelter from French artillery fire and is a reminder of the underground network hewn out of the Argonne siliceous rock during the First World War with the aim of moving troops to the Front. There are a number of structures still remaining, for example the telephone exchange, generators for supplying electricity and a hospital facility with an operating theatre.
The tunnels had a connecting network for ferrying equipment and supplies to the Front, with a main artery of 350 metres long and galleries with a length of 450 metres, giving a total length of 800 metres. It was closed in 1918 when the German army retreated, blowing up the entrances.
The Kaiser Tunnel is closed at the moment for renovation.

More information