Discover Nice Through Its Exceptional Food!
Type of excursion: Food and wine
Audience: All ages
Time: Min. 2 hours, up to a full day
Location: Vieux Nice, city center, Port, hillsides
- Start in the morning on the Cours Saleya marketplace in Vieux Nice: try a ‘fougassette à la fleur d’oranger’ and some fresh and seasonal fruit.
- Stop at the Auer sweet shop to discover the beautiful interior of the shop with its original floor tiles and hand-painted glass windows, and try some of their incredible candied fruit (we recommend mandarine) and sugar-coated flower petals.
- Stop at the Alziari Shop (or, if you have the time, visit their olive oil mill on boulevard de la Madeleine) to discover everything about olive oil and the famous local olive variety called ‘la caillette’.
- Stop at ‘Les gourmandises d’Angea’ to taste the wonderful Niçois macaroons.
- Now take the tram to the Liberation District to discover the market preferred by the locals: it may be less picturesque than the one in the old town, but it's also livelier, more authentic, and often less expensive.
- Try some goat or sheep’s cheese from local farmers.
- Taste some socca (a pancake made from chickpea flour, to be eaten hot with lots of pepper), a piece of pissaladière (onion tart with anchovy paste and olives) or petits farcis (stuffed vegetables) at Socca Tram.
- End your improvised meal with an incredible fruit icecream at Arlequin (made with fresh, seasonal fruit).
- In the afternoon, venture up to the hillsides of Bellet, where some of the oldest wine grapes grow, and visit one of Nice's ten wineries to taste the famous and multi-award-winning Bellet wine (available in red, white or rosé).
- For the evening, plan a nice seafood dinner at the Café de Turin located on the magnificent Place Garibaldi, if you like oysters, or pick one of the numerous restaurants in the port to enjoy some amazing fish.
WHAT TO DO : Keep an eye for restaurants displaying the certification ‘Cuisine Nissarde’ to taste typical, local specialties!
For more information: http://en.nicetourisme.com/gastronomy