50th Anniversary of the Maeght Foundation
For its fiftieth anniversary, seven institutions, including six in the Côte d’Azur, pay tribute to the Marguerite and Aimé Maeght Foundation.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NEW YORK, NY, February 3, 2013 — The Maeght Foundation, one of the foremost private foundations dedicated to contemporary art, celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2014. Inaugurated on July 28, 1964, the Foundation was born from the friendship of Aimé Maeght, art dealer and gallery owner in Paris, with some of the greatest names of modern art: including Joan Miró, Alexander Calder, Fernand Leger, Georges Braque, Alberto Giacometti, Marc Chagall and Eduardo Chillida. Today, the Maeght Foundation owns one of the largest collections of paintings, sculptures and graphic works of the twentieth century in Europe and welcomes over 200,000 visitors per year.
A recognized public service, it is intended to receive, acquire, restore, preserve and exhibit artworks to the public and give artists the opportunity to meet and work together. As André Malraux and the founders declared on the day of its opening, the Maeght Foundation’s mission is to devote itself to creators and creation.
In 2014, the Maeght Foundation invites art lovers to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary in Saint-Paul de Vence with dedicated anniversary exhibitions all year-long as well as exhibits celebrating the milestone throughout France, including: The Picasso Museum in Antibes, the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Nice, the National Museum Marc Chagall in Nice among many others.
Exhibition Calendar 2014 at the Maeght Foundation in Saint-Paul de Vence
- “The Art and Architecture of Josep Lluís Sert” April 5 –June 9, 2014
- 1964-2014: Fifty years of masterpieces at the Maeght Foundation* June 28 –November 11, 2014
- “Paintings for art in all its forms: music, dance, visual arts and writing at the Maeght Foundation” November 29 – March 2015*
* The dates and titles are temporary and may change.
Exhibitions Commemorating the Anniversary throughout France
- Picasso Museum, Antibes: "Tribute to Joan Miró for the 50th Anniversary of the Maeght Foundation,” First half of 2014
- Mamac – Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Nice: “Tribute to Alexander Calder for the 50th Anniversary of the Maeght Foundation,” 24 May – 7 September
- National Museum Marc Chagall, Nice: "A Guest Work: La Vie by Marc Chagall" for the 50th Anniversary of the Maeght Foundation,” June 14 –October 6
- National Museum Fernand Léger, Biot: "A Guest Work: La Partie de campagne by Fernand Léger for the 50th anniversary of the Maeght Foundation," June 21 – October 6
- Magnelli Museum - Ceramics Museum, Vallauris Golfe-Juan: "The Maeght Foundation and ceramics: Artigas, from Miro and Braque to Chillida,” June to November
- Matisse Museum, Nice: "Correspondence between Henri Matisse and Aimé Maeght,” Summer 2014
- Domaine de Kerguéhennec, Bignan, Morbihan : "The Maeght Foundation. From Giacometti to Tàpies, 50 years of collecting,” June 22 to November 2
For more information about the Côte d’Azur’s cultural offerings, please click here: http://www.frenchriviera-tourism.com/what-to-see/sites-and-monuments-cultural-treasures-06_2369.html
Press kit : Art & Côte d’Azur 2014 – More information soon.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT ART ON THE CÔTE D’AZUR
Home to some of the most well-renowned artists of the 20th century, the Côte d’Azur invites visitors to retrace the footsteps of great painters such as Picasso, Matisse, Chagall, Renoir, Cocteau and Bonnard who created some of their best works while living in the Riviera. Today, art lovers can visit the region’s museums which feature some of the best collections of these artists, including: Matisse Museum in Nice (http://www.musee-matisse-nice.org/); National Museum Marc Chagall, Nice (http://www.musees-nationaux-alpesmaritimes.fr/en/chagall/); Picasso Museum in Antibes Juan-Les-Pins (http://www.antibes-juanlespins.com/les-musees/picasso), The Cocteau Museum in Menton (http://museecocteaumenton.fr/)
OTHER CULTURE NEWS 2014
- Poterie Madoura (reopened July 2013 ) – Vallauris Golfe Juan, +33 04 93 63 82 58 http://www.vallauris-golfe-juan.fr/-Tourism-.html?lang=en
- Reopening of the Renoir Museum, Domaine des Collettes – Cagnes sur mer, http://www.cagnessurmer.fr/culture/musees.php