Rendez-vous at Russian chapel and cemetery in Saint-Hilaire-le-Grand
This commemorative chapel is dedicated to the 6,100 Russian soldiers who fell in France. Built in 1937, this amazing building, surrounded by a small Orthodox cemetery, stands out from its surroundings thanks to its white walls and its golden and blue domes.
The adjacent cemetery is where around a thousand Russian soldiers who were part of the brigades who came to fight on the French front from 1916 onwards are buried. Every year at Pentecost, a pilgrimage commemorates their memory.
Behind the cemetery, at the edge of the wood, in amongst the pines and birches, stands an Orthodox monastery built of logs.