Biarritz...where else ?
Are you looking for a vacation destination in order to relieve you from stress? There are many beautiful places in the world where you can go and one of those are in the Bay of Biscay.
The popular town of Biarritz is one of the most-visited French cities worldwide. It has lots of stunning beaches with good surfing spots. If you love playing golf, you will also enjoy the many golf courses found in the city. The town is also rich in culture and history. In fact, they celebrate lots of festivals throughout the year. Before you leave the country, be sure to visit some of the health spas where you can relax and be in an enjoyable mindset.
Biarritz has an amazing location on the Bay of Biscay, and yet it is just a short distance from the mountains. The nearby region still has retained its genuineness and the country of Spain is immediately across the border. Biarritz has high standard facilities and also has numerous accommodations available which makes this vacation site a good suggestion for tourists of all ages.
- Musée de la mer and the Cité de l’Océan represent an innovative concept in oceanographic museums unique worldwide, in a building designed by New York architect Steven Holl.
- Musée Asiatica, featuring the arts of Asia, Asiatica is one of Europe’s five largest museums of Oriental arts; but don’t overlook other museums like Musée du Chocolat devoted to chocolate and of municipal history (Musée Historique de Biarritz).
- Biarritz lighthouse is 73 metres (nearly 240 feet) high; this Imperial Chapel was built in 1864 at the request of Napoleon III’s wife, Empress Eugenia.
- Many other special exhibitions are held throughout the year.
- The ‘Virgin’s Rock’ (Rocher de la Vierge), connected the land by a metal footbridge attributed to Gustav Eiffel
- The fishing port (Ports des Pêcheurs) where whale-hunters once gathered. Today it is a colourful site that boasts fish and seafood restaurants.
- The varied beaches that stretch along 6 kilometres (4 miles) of Biarritz coastline.
- The many surfing schools (Biarritz is the cradle of European surfing)
- The second-oldest golf course on the continent (the Biarritz Lighthouse course), the modern international golf-training centre at Ilbarritz, and 12 other golf courses located within a radius of 12 kilometres (8 miles) of Biarritz.
- Health cures offered by the many spas that are now the leaders in their field.
- Ongoing entertainment and cultural activities for all tastes and ages: theatre, festivals, dance, concerts, pelota (jai alai), restaurants, and so on.
- By plane : Aéroport international de Biarritz : 3 km (2 miles)
- By train : Train station TGV of Biarritz : 2 km (1.3 miles)
- By car : A63 and A64
Tel : 00 34 5 59 22 37 00