The Naval Monument at Brest stands on walls overlooking the harbor which was a major American base of operations. It commemorates achievements of the U.S. Navy whose ships and aircraft performed convoy escort duty against German submarines. Brest was important to the American Expeditionary Forces from 1917 to 1918 as the principal port of embarkation and debarkation of troops, equipment, and supplies in France. The AEF’s Services of Supply Base Section No. 5 set up depots for billeting 55,000 persons and facilities to assemble vehicles and materiel. The monument is a rectangular rose colored decorated granite tower. The present structure replaces the original monument destroyed by Germans in 1941.