The vineyard of Coteaux de Vitry is located on the Cote de Champagne, east of this wine region, on the exact same line of Côte des Bar’s ridge (Aube department).
Coteaux de Vitry is also located near Lake Der, the biggest artificial lake of Europe and an idyllic place for bird-watching. Lake Der also offers a wide range of water sports.
The three main grape varieties of Champagne grow in the Coteaux de Vitry (Pinot Noir, Meunier and Chardonnay), although Chardonnay is much more represented in this area (96% of Coteaux de Vitry).
The vines are implanted with a south/south-east orientation to ensure a maximum exposure to sunlight just like it is near Epernay in Côte des Blancs.
Ponds, farming, prairies and vineyards compose the landscape offering wild open spaces. Quaint villages, with timber frame houses and churches, are the typical architecture of the area.
Key figures :
- 15 cellars, amongst which Champagne Bertrand-Lapie at la Chaussée-sur-Marne, labeled Vignobles & Découvertes
- 11 accommodations, amongst which Bignicourt-sur-Saulx Castle from the XIXth century (rental house + Bed & Breakfast)
- 6 restaurants, amongst which “O Délices des Papilles » in Matignicourt Goncourt
- 4 heritage sites, amongst which La Merveille de Saint-Amand-sur-Fion Church
- 3 leisure activities, amongst which the Gourmande Farm in la Chaussée-sur-Marne
- 3 events, amongst which « Bulles & Belles Histoires of the Coteaux de Vitry »
- 1 receptive operator