Get to know Bastia, a city full of art and history.
Nestled at the foot of Cap Corse, Bastia watches over its Baroque treasures.
You will find that the exuberant décor found in the small chapels of the Holy Cross and the Immaculate Conception is hidden in the heart of the old city, inside a maze of picturesque streets.
Bastia is one of France famous cities. Filled with wonderful art and history, it is not a big surprise that it has rose to become one of the prominent French cities.
Strolling down these medieval alleys lined by ancient buildings with emblazoned gateways, you’ll finally come upon the fragrant stalls of a garden market found beneath a lofty belltower. From here you’ll be able to gaze upon the shimmering reflection of the citadel on the calm waters of the Old Port as it resounds with the shouts of fishermen and the ring of church bells.
Or head into the outskirts, to typical local villages such as Furiani, Ville de Pietrabugno, San Martino di Lota, and Santa Maria di Lota, where delightful floral paths lead to mossy springs and rural chapels.
Allow yourself the chance to create some of the most memorable moments of your holiday here in this wonderfully sunny and unique location.
Bastia is ready and waiting.
Must-See in Bastia
- The chapels of Sainte Croix (Holy Cross) and Immaculée-Conception (Immaculate Conception);
- The baroque brotherhoods of the 17th and 18th centuries, the churches of Sainte-Marie and Jean-Baptiste, the old Genoese town (citadel, fortress and keep, bell tower), the old port, and an extremely rare example of a ‘holy staircase’, the Scala Santa de Monserato;
- The Musée d’Histoire de la ville de Bastia (municipal historical museum) with its fine collection housed in the Palais des Gouverneurs Génois (Genoese Governors’ Palace);
- The picturesque market with its stalls of local produce, on Saturday and Sunday mornings. The flea market on Place Saint Nicolas, meanwhile, is the perfect place to find a bargain or unearth a rare item.
- Typical Corsican villages on the outskirts of town: Cardo, Furiani, Pietrabugno, San Martino di Lota, Santa Maria di Lota.
Office du Tourisme de l'Agglomération de Bastia
Place Saint Nicolas
Tel : 33 (0)4 95 54 20 40
Fax : 33 (0)4 95 54 20 41