Approved by the Tourisme & Handicap association, the Handiplage association contributes to the development of the accessibility of French beaches and outdoor recreations centres.
More than one hundred coastal cities in 43 French départements provide special equipment. Adapted services are proposed on the beaches such as the tiralo (amphibious wheelchair) or the hippocampe (aquatic whellchair). Trained staff share their expertise of managing disabled people, helping them take the plunge.
There are 103 labelled beaches throughout France from the Breton coast to the Mediterranean coast via Corsica, 2 in overseas France (Martinique and Reunion Island), and 1 in Monaco.
Examples of Handiplage beaches
- Plage du Havre
- Plage de Deauville
- Grand Plage Palais des Congrès in Saint Jean de Monts
- Plage Maguide and Plage Centrale in Biscarrosse
- Plage du VVF in Anglet
- Plage de la Milady in Biarritz
- Plage des Deux Jumeaux in Hendaye
- Le Cap d'Agde : Plage de la Roquille, Plage de Richelieu Ouest, Plage de Richelieu Est, Plage du Mole
- Saint-Tropez : De la Bouillabaisse, Des Canebiers, Des Salins
- Arihella in Bastia