The Saint Jean-Baptiste Cathedral in Calvi was built in the classically Baroque style in the 13th century.
Visiting the Citadel of Calvi goes perfectly with a tour of this imposing cathedral from the early Middle Ages.
The Cathédrale Saint-Jean-Baptiste, designed in the form of a Greek church, is home to a number of beautiful works of art, such as:
- Baptismal fonts
- A polychrome marble altar
- The Christ of Miracles
The Cathedral hasn't had a particularly lucky history - partially destroyed by a Franco-Turk siege, followed by a bolt of lightning, the building was restored in 1570.
Located in the upper town in the old Genoise fortress, the Cathedral became a residence of the Bishops of Sagone in 1625 after fleeing Barbary pirates in Vico.
Historical Monument and Cultural Site
The religious edifice has now been officially classified as a Historical Monument.
It is now the site of many different cultural events, including the Rencontres de chants polyphoniques, which takes place in September of each year.