View this post on Instagram
Juste pour un verre... ou deux 😀Bar et cour ouverts à tous de 17h à 23h. Check out our new customized cocktails everyday from 5-11 pm at J&J's Bar. #worldbestbars #cocktailbar #cocktailhour #hidden #secretplace #freshness #cocktaillovers #boutiquehotel #iloveparis #parisjetaime #paris3 #lemarais #secretplace #mylittleparis #bartender #goodvibesonly #cocktails #aperitivo #cosywarm
• Boutique/quirky: Jules et Jim , Paris. Nestled in the gay-hotspot of Le Marais, the hotel (named after the Truffaut film) is set in a former 18th century precious metal factory. The small hotel is also home to a bar and arts space. According to CNN , it's "homey, but chic enough to suit the avant-garde vibes of the 3rd arrondissement and nearby Pompidou Museum."
• Luxury: L’Hotel , Paris. One of the most intimate 5-star hotels in Paris, it’s also home to a Michelin-starred restaurant and a rich guest history (it’s said that Marlon Brando stayed there, and it’s where Oscar Wilde spent his final days).
•Luxury: Hotel Windsor , Nice. The 19th century facade hides a contemporary art treasure trove, as well as modern luxuries like a sauna, fitness center and pool in the captial of the Côte d'Azur.
•Mid-range: Hotel H33 , Nice. Featuring a variety of rooms (double, twin, quad, and quin), this melon-colored hotel is just 5 minutes from the old town and the world-famous Promenade des Anglais.
• Contemporary: Mama Shelter in Bordeaux provides the classic Bordelais in modern style, with a rooftop overlooking the city and a restaurant manned by Guy Savoy.
• Gay-only guesthouses: Le Moulin de Titet in Toulouse and La Villa Littoral in Montepellier (the former 30 min from downtown, the second a resort-type lodging near the beaches of Southern France) are ideal if you're looking for a gay-only stay in an intimate setting.
• Bed & Breakfasts: Blue Angels welcomes visitors to their 100% gay B&B, and the Odyssée offers a tranquil stay in a garden of fig and olive trees, just minutes from downtown Nice.
• Hostel: Villa Saint Exupéry Beach , Nice. Built in a former casino, this accomodation is in the center of Nice and offers all the sociability of a hostel with the 5-star facilities of a hotel.
• Houseboat: L'Apparte des Anges is a floating pardise on the Canal du Midi—the houseboat offers a unique stay with a pool, AC and proximity to Mediterannean naturist beaches.
Restaurants & nightlife for LGBT+ travelers
- Le Quinquina, Toulouse. A typical French bar with al fresco seating, this is the ideal spot to grab a cocktail and rub elbows with LGBT Toulousains or fellow travelers.
- le G-Bar, le G-Boy , Toulouse. The biggest gay bar and gay dance club in Toulouse, this is a can't-miss for party animals in Occitanie.
- Le Coxx , Montpellier. This gay bar in the seaside town of Montpellier is the perfect mix of warm and electric, often hosting live music.
- Rosa Bonheur , Paris: A “guinguette”-style café in the heart of Buttes-Chaumont Park, Rosa Bonheur has a general-interest program with DJs and electronic collectives, and Sunday is one of the most popular days for the LGBT community and their friends.
- Le Cox , Paris: The Cox has been open since 1995. It is located in the heart of the Marais in one of the main streets of this neighborhood, where the life and activity of gay Paris revolves. The Cox remains one of the busiest and most famous establishments in Paris. It is best known for its terrace, popular between 6-10 pm. The clientele includes bears, hipsters, clubbers, and lovers of very good sound. The daily happy hour has become an inescapable tradition in the life of the Marais.
- Café Voulez-Vous , Paris: This café-restaurant is a comfortable place to have a drink, sip a cocktail or eat in the heart of the Marais.
-Le Badaboum, Paris : Not a just a bar or club, this is a multidisciplinary hotspot for your evenings in Paris. The Badaboum is both a cocktail bar, a concert hall, a club and a hidden bachelor apartment on the first floor.
- Le Dépôt , Paris: The mythical gay club of Paris open 7 days a week offers a DJ every night, as well as cruising, and is open on two levels on weekends.
- Le Goozii , Nice: Tapas, late-night food, disco lounge, dinner—you can find it all at Le Goozii.
- Le Glam , Nice. Art gallery decor meets disco vibe at Le Glam, with theme parties every weekend.
- Buster Bar , Bordeaux: Bordeaux' favorite cruising bar, Buster is open every day of the week, with theme nights and a Sunday night cocktail from 8pm-midnight.
- QG de Monbadon , Bordeaux: Their mission statement says it all: "A meeting place for all libertines: heteros, gays, and transgender people" in the heart of Bordeaux.
- Le Caveau , Biarritz: this is the LGBT club par excellence in Biarritz, and has been since it opened in the 80s, with a reputation for crazy parties lasting until dawn and a welcoming spirit. Here diversity is queen, between identities, attractions, and generations.
- Le Kitsch , Biarritz: The classic LGBT bar, this is one of the best spots to grab a drink for LGBT+ travelers in the Pays Basque.
LGBT sites across France
- Toulouse LGBT Center
- Montpellier LGBT Center
- Nice LGBT Center
- Les Mots à la Bouche, bookstore in Paris: One of the last of its kind, this bookstore in Paris' gayborhood Le Marais is where you can find any and all LGBT publications , from novels to comic books to nonfiction tomes.
- Librairie Vigna LGBT et féminisme , bookstore in Nice: here bibliophiles can find theoretical texts, crime novels, poetry, books on film, entertainment, dance, fashion and fine arts tomes, all seeking to reflect LGBT culture and feminist values.
LGBT events in France
- Pride Parade, Toulouse : 1st or 2nd Saturday of June
- Pride Parade, Montpellier : 3rd or 4th Saturday of July
- Pink Parade , Nice: July 27 2019
- Pride Parade , Paris: June 29, 2019
- Pride Parade , Bordeaux: June 16, 2019
- Pride Parade , Biarritz: June 22, 2019
- ZEFESTIVAL , the Nice LGBT and Gayfriendly Film Festival, Nice: September 29 to October 9.
- Festival de Femmes , Paris. Hosted each March in the Paris region, this 10-day event helps present the rich world of women in cinema.
- Ciné-Marges-Club , Bordeaux. Created in 2000, the festival is a weeklong cinematic exploration of "sex, gender, and identity."
- Lou Queernaval , Nice: The first Gay Carnival in France will be held in February 2020.
- Rencontres In&Out, Nice : An annual LGBT film festival held in June in the capital of the Côte d'Azur.
- European Snow Pride: March 14 to 21, 2020. European Snow Pride finds a rocking home for its week of music, parties, and world-class skiing at Tignes Station.