In Normandy: Apples and Milk
Normandy offers an exciting and high-quality gastronomical variety. First comes its luxurious seafood: oysters from the open sea, scallops, lobsters. And for each major town there is most likely a speciality: Dieppe sole, tripe à la mode from Caen, boudin noir from Mortagne. Next, let us not forget those great Normandy cows, who give milk in abundance. The famous cheeses of the region—camembert (well made), Pont l’Evêque, or livarot—are thanks to them. And finally, as for fruits, Normandy holds the ace: green, sweet, crunchy, sour, ripe apples. They are used in making cider and the reputed calvados.
Normandy is renowned for its andouillette d'Alençon, marmite dieppoise, mirlitons de Rouen, escalope à la normande, estouffade, rabbit in cider, duckling à la Rouennaise, chicken or omelette vallée d'Auge, mussels à la crème, and tripe à la mode from Caen.
Its desserts (the tarte normande, brioche, shortbreads, Isigny caramels, and rice pudding) are also delicious.
Well known specialty cheeses here are Camembert, Pavé d'Auge, Livarot, Pont l'Evêque, Boursin, Brillat-Savarain, and Brin de Paille.
Wines and Spirits:
Calvados, mistelle, cider (AOC designation Pays d'Auge, AOC in process: Cidre du Bessin, Cidre du Cotentin, Cidre du Pays de Caux, and Cidre du Perche)
A Few Calvados Producers:
- Père Magloire
- Charles de Granville
- Chateau du Breuil
- Ferme du Ponctey
Norman Escalope (serves 4)
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 4 chicken or turkey breasts
- 1 sprig of tarragon
- 1 bouillon cube
- 4 carrots
- 4 zucchini
- ½ celery root
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup (20 cL) cream
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- Poach the chicken breasts for 20 minutes in boiling water with a sprig of terragon.
- Wash, peel, and grate the carrots, zucchini, and celery root.
- Place everything in a pot of boiling chicken stock for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the vegetables on a dish and place the chicken breasts over top.
- In a small pan, dilute the cornstarch with a ladleful of stock and bring to a boil. Add the cream and the mustard seeds.
- Boil the mixture until it thickens and then pour it over the chicken breasts. Serve with a side of basmati rice.