AMIENS, THE MAGIC OF COLOURS...
Amiens, a bieutiful French city, is ranked amongst the most important cities in France to travel and visit. Whether you’re a history buff, garden lover, seeker of cultural events or a simple dreamer, this important French city has become the new essential weekend destination, situated just under two hours from Paris.
Amiens, also a World Heritage travel destination in France, boasts of a host of treasures awaiting your discovery, including the cathedral and Belfry, both listed as UNESCO World Heritage sites, the hortillonnages gardens, Jules Verne’s house and the Saint-Leu district on the very edge of the water, all set in surroundings ideal to explore on foot or by bike.
Treat yourself to a weekend of surprises as you acquaint yourself with the many aspects of Picardy’s capital!
If you’d like to make the most of the season’s mild weather and spend a weekend discovering Amiens, one of the most beautiful European cities, consult our great plans and take full advantage of a program of activities that you do not want to miss!
NOT TO BE MISSED IN AMIENS
- Notre-Dame Cathedral, one of the most popular “in France travel” destinations, is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site;
- The hortillonnages, floating gardens to be discovered by boat;
- Jules Verne’s house in the heart of Amiens 19th century district;
- The Saint-Leu district with its canals and floating market;
- The La Hotoie zoological gardens;
- The nearby Somme Bay;
- Culinary specialities, including macaroons, chocolate tiles, ficelle picarde (savoury pancakes) and gâteau battu (a rich brioche cake).
VISITING THE CITY
With your City Pass at hand, take advantage of 32 very attractive offers to help you get to know Amiens, its region and neighboring cities in France. You can go at your own pace and follow what interests you most, during any chosen time of the year!
FESTIVALS / EVENTS
- Amiens Cathedral in a colorful display – from June through to September and in December, located in the cathedral square (open air).
- As night falls and the show begins lighting up on the portals of Notre-Dame d’Amiens, it brings back to life the figures sculpted in stone during the 13th century. A dazzling revelation of colors from the Middle Ages. It’s a sort of pure wonder and joy that you get to share with the locals!
- White Night in Amiens – October, to be experienced in the city center and its surrounding districts.
- Amiens, a World Heritage in France Travel destination, provides you with an out-of-the ordinary night of festivities. Young and old alike can wander around this famous old French city at will, through streets transformed for the night by the cunning hands of artists. Encounters, discoveries and contemporary creation are all included in an amazing program.
- The Amiens flea markets – spring and autumn secondhand fairs occurring in April and October. These markets bring with them the opportunity to meet people from all over the country and to embrace and share in each other’s differences in a warm-hearted and sociable atmosphere.
- Amiens’ flea markets bring together close to 2000 amateur and professional exhibitors, with visitors throughout Europe descending on Amiens in search to hunt down those highly sought-after items. This is certainly an experience not to be missed!
GETTING TO AMIENS
SNCF railway station: 1 hour from Paris and 1½ hours from Lille, located in the city center.
TGV railway station: 3½ hours from London and 2½ hours from Brussels, 40 minutes from the city center by shuttle bus.
Airports: Roissy-CDG: 1 hour by TGV, Paris-Beauvais 45 minutes by motorway.
Motorways: A16, A29 and A1.
CONTACT AND USEFUL LINKS
Amiens Métropole Tourist Office
23 place Notre Dame
Tel: 33 (0)3 22 71 60 50
Fax: 33 (0)3 22 71 60 51