Resting on the Flanders Plain and progressing around the river Deûle, the city of Lille is well known for its diversity of cultures and the political influence it has for France.
Lille is an eclectic place, as it always remains to be a rich and diverse city due to it's location. It became a trading hotspot during the Middle Ages, an industrial center between the 19th and 20th centuries, and today, the city of Lille is already a tertiary place, but also provides visitors with lots of tourist attractions.
Lille’s special location is at the core of Europe and so near to Brussels, Paris, London or Amsterdam making it the reason why there are many reinforced activities in the town.
Lille is waiting for you!
Must-See in Lille
- Le palais Rihour et l'îlot Comtesse.
- Le Palais des Beaux-Arts: one of the most important Fine Arts in France after the Louvre Museum.
- La Grand’ Place (Main Square) et la Vieille Bourse (old stock exchange).
- La Place du Théâtre and the Belfry of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Euralille: This modern district with futurist architectures was developed around the TGV station « Lille Europe », Lille Grand Palais (exhibition and congress hall, theatre) and the shopping centre, “Euralille.” Many famous architects and town planners worked on the creation and development of the district : Rem Koolhaas, Jean Nouvel, Christian de Portzamparc, Claude Vasconi...
- The hospice Comtesse Museum: In the heart of the old Vieux Lille district, the museum is by itself a summary of urban architecture from the Middle Ages to the 18th century. Rooms inspired by flemish and dutch interiors present paintings, ceramics and furnitures....
- The Wazemmes market: one the most important markets in France, and obviously one of the most busy. Quite often it’s possible to ear some accordion, in a coloured and broadminded atmosphere
- le vieux Lille cheese
- « gaufres », waffles from Méert
- Regional Beers
- « Potjevleesch »: white meats traditional flemish dish in juniper jelly
- The « fleurs de Lille » … chocolates
- Lille3000: this three-yearly festival invites to discover culture through creations from modern and contemporary artists from Lille and other places worldwide.
- Accordion Festival in Wazemmes (May-June).
- “Lille aux saveurs » Festival: to discover by tasting regional products. Activities on the place Rihour
- « Lille piano(s) festival » (June)
- The « grande Braderie de Lille » (flea market): Every first week-end of September, Lille is transformed into the most important flea market in Europe. Nearly two million people pace up and down the animated and lively streets of the city.
- The Christmas market ( from mid-November the end of december)
To discover Lille
- Lille Métropole City Pass: a practical must-have, the Lille Metropole City Pass is the answer to all your visiting needs, whether you’re staying one day or longer !
- The Lille City Tour: air-conditioned minibus equiped with audio and video system takes you on a 50mn discovery tour of the city, passing the most famous sites of Lille. All year round, everyday, every hour! Every hour from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm (except at 1.00 pm). No tours on January 1, May 1, 1st week end of September, December 25.
- Guides tours with official guides.
- Free walks with « Lille Promenades » (5 routes in the different districts of the city).
- Train stations: « Lille Flandres » and « Lille Europe » - TGV : 1h from Paris, Eurostar : 1h40 from London and 38 mn from Brussels.
- International Airport Lille-Lesquin (10 km du centre-ville): more than 70 national and international destinations.
- Motorways: A1, A27, A23, A25, A22 (220 km from Paris)