Destination Gers, ‘Les Bons Crus d'Artagnan®’ is the name of the Gascon wine-growing area, dating back over 1,600 years.
It covers over half of the Department of Gers and extends into four other Departments: Hautes-Pyrénées, Pyrénées Atlantiques, Landes and Lot-et-Garonne.
Gers, ‘Les Bons Crus d'Artagnan®’ invites you to discover the wealth and diversity of its five appellations:
- Armagnac: France’s oldest brandy ;
- Floc de Gascogne: aperitif reflecting the colours of the South-West, the sublime result of a recipe many centuries old (subtle blend of Armagnac and grape juice) ;
- Côtes de Gascogne (and Côtes de Gascogne - Condomois): major producer of white wine in France and the leading French white wine exported in the world ;
- Madiran and Pacherenc, two of the best-known reds, both harvested late ;
- Saint-Mont, and the centuries-old Sarragachies vineyard, listed thanks to its outstanding character.
And much more...
The destination has much more to offer than this wine-growing wealth.
It combines the beauty of its undulating landscapes and sublime heritage sites such as Auch, the capital of Gascony, La Romieu and its collegiate church included on UNESCO World Heritage List as is Auch Cathedral, the Cistercian abbey of Flaran with its collection of works by the great masters of European art (16th – 20th centuries), the Elusa Archaeological Centre in Éauze…
This destination, a friendly and welcoming area, also stages a wide range of nationally and internationally renowned events :
- Jazz in Marciac festival,
- Tempo Latino festival,
- the feria (bullfighting) in Vic-Fezensac,
- bandas festival in Condom,
- CIRCa contemporary circus festival in Auch,
- the Astronomy Festival in Fleurance,
- L'Été photographique de Lectoure (summer photography festival held in Lectoure...).
Visitors will be guided by the Tourist Offices which will provide them with all the information and tips required to plot their own wine trail for an unforgettable wine tourism experience:
- visits of estates and prestigious châteaux,
- tasting wine in cellars,
- leisure activities such as walks through the vineyards…
- restaurants and accommodation carefully selected for their knowledge and excellent use of the land and its produce.