Right in the heart of the Indian Ocean, 800 km east of Madagascar, Réunion Island, together with Mauritius and Rodrigues, forms the Archipelago of Mascareignes.
It is like a mountain resting on the surface of the Indian Ocean, just like the Piton des Neiges, rising to 3,069 meters. An active volcano, the famous Piton de la Fournaise wakes up periodically, and you can admire the magnificence of the lava flow in total safety.
Réunion offers an infinite number of amazing sites and contrasting landscapes:
- Green Réunion, with its primitive forests and three large natural cirques: Mafate, which you can only reach by hiking along a trail; Salazie, a wonderland of waterfalls and rivers in the midst of lush vegetation; Cilaos, with an unexpected alpine village nestled on the side of the mountain.
- Blue Réunion, with the lagoons of Saint-Gilles, Saint-Leu and Saint-Pierre.
- Golden Réunion, with 30km of golden sandy beaches along the coastline cooled by the wind.
- Multicolored Réunion, with its explosions of rich colors in the gardens full of tropical flowers, and its Creole huts.
A natural stadium for sports and leisure activities, Réunion provides more than 70 activities, from 40m under the sea to more than 3,000m up in the air. You can explore the heights on horseback, mountain bike or ATV, go hiking on one of the 1,000 km of marked trails, go paragliding, take helicopter or ULM flights above the majestic mountains, go surfing on the famous spots at Saint-Gilles, or fish for blue marlin and yellow-fin tuna.
Finally, at the crossroads of several continents, Réunion will delight you with the natural, warm welcome of a rainbow population, and the variety of its Creole cuisine. The local food’s spicy flavors, from curry to rougaille, will gratify even the most gourmet appetites.
Don’t miss :
- The Volcano and its lunar landscape on the Plaine des Sables
- Le Cirque de Cilaos, 1,200m high at the foot of the Piton des Neiges
- La Sucrerie de Bois Rouge, where you can discover how sugar is made
- The market at Saint Paul, which will delight all your senses
- La Maison de la Vanille, where you can discover Bourbon Vanilla
If you plan to stay for less than three months, an ordinary valid passport is the only form of identity required.
From 59° F in the higher parts to 77° along the coast in the cool season (May-November), more than 86°F on the coast in the hot season (December-April).
The Roland Garros International Airport on Reunion is 10 kilometers from Saint-Denis, and 51 kilometers from Saint-Gilles.